– AUDIO: http://blrrm.tv/ghIrLB
– SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHANNEL: http://blrrm.tv/DailyMotion
– And go to boilerroom.tv for the best of underground music: videos, articles, mixes and exclusive tracks
Marquis Hawkes is back on Houndstooth with a considerable punch, ladies and gents. After a string of tuff-as-nail releases on the imprint — including Sweet and Raw Materials — his debut album is now complete.
Social Housing, as you’ll soon learn, is an ode to not-for-profit, association-managed social housing in Berlin; a system that us Brits could learn a thing or two from, but that’s another matter. “Fantasy” does exactly what it says on the tin, providing the sonic equivalent of someplace euphoric and sun-splashed during mid-August. Although firmly four-to-the-floor territory, the funk and disco influences are hard to ignore here. Cascading hi-hats, shiny arp work and detuned trumpet blares all coalesce to make this a real jam. That and those chopped-up vocals that Todd Edwards would appreciate.
This is very much Hawkes’ own though; soulful and jacking in all the right amounts, and part of a project that’s been two years in the making. It comes complete with artwork that’s as thought out and auroral. Drawn from a photo taken by Hawkes’ wife in East Berlin, Alan Oldham’s (aka DJ T-1000) visual accompaniment is spot on.
Marquis Hawkes’ debut album arrives on June 10 2016. Sooth your ears with “Fantasy” until then.
– FIND US HERE, TOO:
– FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/boilerroom.tv
– TWITTER: http://twitter.com/boilerroomtv
– SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/platform
– INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/boilerroomtv
– YOUTUBE: http://blrrm.tv/YouTube
– SNAPCHAT: boilerroomtv